“with hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take god out of the pledge of allegiance?” Jay Leno
Before meeting the team I stayed with a family in Manchester, CT. The Hobson family where I received the most amazing hospitality I have ever witnessed in my life. A family I had never before met. I was picked up from the airport by Samara Dave and little Angela Bowne. They drove me to Samara’s home because I was let’s go with 6 hours until the brief! (Thanks dad) but no really thanks dad because I met some of the most amazing people. We drove to Samara’s mom’s home where we stayed and hung out on their back porch and just talked. We sat out there like we had known each other forever. The mom ( I can’t even remember her name, long day) had so many kids! It was basically a foster home for anyone who needed the help and kids with autism.
So we sat on the porch and talked Samara had the cutest daughter Angela she entertained us for a bit until it was time for a nap where I asked if I could join her. I felt so rude because I wasn’t very lively in conversation because I was so exhausted. So Jessica let me sleep on a couch in the basement she got me a pillow and I put my head phones in and I was out. I actually had a dream I got a text that said Ryan Spooner was in an accident and was at the hospital having his burns treated and he wouldn’t be at the briefing. I think I might have told Jessica this then went back to sleep she never said anything but I think I might have.. It was odd. Oh by the way I walked into the men’s restroom at the airport in DCA yeah I was that out of it.
So Jessica woke me and we had dinner with the family. A delicious dinner. It was almost angel hair pasta with a thin cream Alfredo sauce with chicken, peppers and broccoli. C’est très magnifique! So after we helped clean up this amazing dinner Jessica drove me to the briefing which was about 45 min away. Jessica and I had a great talk. I found out I was mistaken and Jessica wasn’t a part of the family. She lived with them because they stood beside her and helped her through her walk when her parents don’t approve of what shes doing. This girl is one of the most amazing women I have ever met. In the talk in the car I found out she graduated from uconn with a degree in civil engineering. This girl is not only smart but she has such a fire for the lord. We had the most amazing conversation I’ll never forget it. The main thing she taught me was when god talks, listen. You may not like what you hear but God is going to challenge you. Step up to the challenge. A lot we talked about in that conversation was just amazing So I hope to hear from Jessica Bliven soon.
So I finally met my team. We are a team of 11. One had to drop L.
We have: The always energetic beautiful and so darn cute Kari Taylor who is from Colorado and will be a junior next year at one of the small schools out there. She plays d2 soccer. Next is Whitney who is sleeping next to me, she is from North Carolina and she is such a doll! I love her accent it makes mine stick out less but when I’m around her mine comes out real bad! Yal know what I mean. Then there’s Kim who is the cute ‘hugger’ of the group as soon as we met she greeted us all in a hug. She’s from California but goes to Boston College. Pat is the only guy in the group not on staff. He speaks Italian well and he’s from New York. Then there is Sarah who is from New York. She is so nice and so quiet but when she talks she always has great things to say. Opposite of Sarah is Caleigh she is from Maine and goes to Wentworth where she is a junior there. Then there are four people on staff: Ryan, Ross, Kat and Cenia. Ross and Ryan are from Uconn and Kat is on staff at Brown and Cenia is on staff at Boston I believe.. not exactly sure.
So there’s the team. 4 staff members 7 students
Whitney, Kari, Kim, Pat, Sarah, Caleigh, & Me. Ryan, Ross, Kat,& Cenia.
The Brief
The briefing went very well. Ryan had folders and journals for the team and we had some great conversations for ice breakers. Why did you choose the Milan Summer project? What are you most scared of? What are you most excited for? The main consensus was we chose to go to the project because of personal reasons and to serve in Italy out side of the US. The fears ranged from communication because of language, being yourself, to not getting too distracted by the city, and rejection of people.
Ryan shared with us his ‘Lord of the Ring’ style vision he had whish ended in exodus 14:14 The Lord himself will fight for you.
We ended on that and were free to talk to the others and get ready which is what I am doing now… to bed. Goodnight! In Christ, Brittany
No comments:
Post a Comment